There are numerous ways to stir the Joy within…which we also may call Happiness. Joy is all that, yet a more deep-rooted, more soul-based kind of Happy. Joy is the delight that comes from within and bubbles up on its own. Joy needs no prompting or stimulation to experience. Joy just is.
I’m happy to say that Joy is my authentic nature. And I know it’s the God-nature of everyone, but sometimes we need to look long and hard to see it expressed within ourselves or through other individuals. They may not have found it yet…their natural state of being…Joy…Happiness…Delight.
I once was married to someone who actually got irritated with me because I woke up happy and glowing every morning. I was delighted to be alive and looked forward to the possibilities the day held in store for me. And even though he acted sullen and spewed ridicule in my direction during many of those early morning hours, it did not detract me from staying in a gleeful state. I simply left the house earlier (to go to work). After several years, I left the marriage. The Joy remains.
The difference between being Happy and being Joyful is expressed in numerous ways. Maybe you can relate to some of these examples:
- Happy – listening to a favorite song on the radio
- Joyful – listening to a favorite song on the radio and clapping along and moving your body to the rhythm because you have to…and it doesn’t matter who sees you bee-bopping in the car!
- Happy – noticing your grandchild walk up the driveway as he or she comes for a visit
- Joyful – noticing your grandchild is now mimicking one of your behaviors…a good one
- Happy – planting a tree or an herb in your yard or garden
- Joyful – discovering that what you planted early in the season, while it seemed dead for awhile, actually survived and is growing strong
- Happy – laying down to rest after a long and productive day, feeling good about what you did
- Joyful – waking up from a deep and restful sleep, eager to start a new day, a new beginning
Joy is a state of mind, a way of being. It expresses in varied ways…as an eternal Light of God that never goes out, no matter how we try to cover it up with our problems or grumpiness. Joy continues to shine its rays of Happiness and Delight until, finally, we open our eyes to its presence and radiate a Spiritual glow out into our world.
Thank you, God, for this glorious gift! Amen.